Last year Artur and I were subscribed to a CSA (community supported agriculture program) which is basically getting the veggies directly from the farmer without middle man.
This way it is much cheaper and the quality of the produce is much better than you buy in the store. Here is how it works: You pre-pay for the entire season, and then you come to the garden (my CSA is located near the Lebovic Campus in Thornhill Woods) once a week to pick up your basket.
Our kids absolutely LOVED coming to the garden to pick veggies and to water the plants and so we are definitely doing it again this year! My favourit part was the variety of food it brought to our family, stuff I would either not find in the store or just not buy cus I don’t know how to cook with it… With the CSA I was kinda forced to Google for recipes on how to cook with the bizarre veggies I got. Ohh and this year we have EGGS!!! So exciting!
Would love to see you come to the garden and enjoy this Clean, Organic and delicious produce!
Here is a forward of the email I got from Risa (the coordinator):
- You will get to visit Shoresh’s Kavanah Garden each week to pick up local, organic vegetables, eggs, and other goodies, helping to strengthen our vibrant Vaughan community;
- You will be a part of an international movement of more than 70 Jewish CSAs that put Jewish purchasing power behind local family farms and sustainable agriculture;
- You and your family will get to learn more about Judaism, food and ecology with Shoresh!
What’s new at the Kavanah Garden CSA for 2013?
- New farmer: Shoresh has partnered with Highmark Farms to provide you with a bounty of organic, local, fresh farm goodness. Highmark Farms is an organic, family-run, mixed farm operation driven by the values of quality and integrity. At 120 acres, Highmark Farm in the Cookstown area has been family-run for over 25 years (with generations of farming experience in Cyrpus!)
- More variety: This year we will have more vegetable varieties! As well, you can expect free-range organic eggs, seasonal fruit, dried beans, and other specialty goodies! As well, there will plenty of opportunity to customize your share, including purchasing additional items (if you’re having a large dinner that week, for example!)
- New Kavanah Garden! As some of you who get our Shoresh e-newsletter know, the Kavanah Garden is moving to our new PERMANENT home this season! Construction is beginning this month, and we expect to be up and running by early May 🙂 Just down the street from our current location, the new Kavanah Garden will be an even sweeter space to visit weekly to get your share of veggies, sunshine, and garden goodness!
What’s the same?
- CSA Location: Kavanah Garden (Lebovic Campus Drive, just west of Ilan Ramon Blvd….just 30 feet east of last year’s location 🙂
- CSA Pick-up Date: Still on Thursdays! (from 3:30-6:30)
- Tzedakah: Shares that are not picked up each week will continue to support the most vulnerable in our community through our tzedakah partnerships and initiatives!
For more information about this year’s Kavanah Garden CSA (including photos of share sizes and a list of what you can expect by season), please visit our website www.shoresh.ca/CSA or contact us at email@example.com or 416-
REGISTER ONLINE TODAY by completing our simple on-line registration form!
We look forward to seeing you in the garden soon!
Risa Alyson Cooper, Executive Director
Sabrina Malach, Director of Community Outreach
Rachel Rosenbluth, Director of Education